Sunday, November 3, 2013

"Kids" these Days

I remember when I first graduated from graduate school, a 27 year old newly minted PhD.  I was extremely uncomfortable with my newly-earned title of Dr. Root.  I remember that I fought it for a long time, thinking it sounded old and stuffy and arrogant.  I remember feeling a lot more comfortable being called "Sarah".  I remember feeling like I had a lot more in common with the graduate students than I did with my colleagues.

Seven years later, all that has changed.  One other thing has changed too -- the way I refer to our students.

I remember when I first took this job I was irrationally obsessed with calling the people I taught "students".  When colleagues or staff people would call them kids, I'd bristle.  "They're 18 (or 21 or 24).  They are old enough to vote and be drafted.  They're not kids, they're adults."

This year, I've noticed that I've started to call my students kids.  And I've noticed that it's because they often act like kids.  Yes they could vote or be drafted or even have children of their own -- but in many cases, they act like kids.  And maybe even more than that, I'm ok with calling them kids because I love many of them like kids.  I see the potential in them.  I want them to make good choices, but know that a lot of times the best way for kids to learn is by making mistakes and overestimating their abilities.  Sometimes they frustrate the crap out of me.  But I am grateful that the Lord has put them in my path for a semester or for a year or however long our lives intersect.

And maybe calling them kids means that I'm getting older, too -- I can accept that :)  It's been a good run.  I love these kids and I am grateful for the seven years I've had at the University of Arkansas serving them and loving them.  What a blessing.  I will miss them next year when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment