Sunday, December 29, 2013

JOY


When I think back on this semester, probably the biggest theme or the biggest thing I've learned about is joy.  You'll find all kinds of definitions of joy, but I think Kay Warren's is my favorite and the one that resonates with me the most.
Joy is the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that everything is going to be alright, and the determined choice to praise God in every situation.
In my meditative journaling, at least twice a week God spoke to me and taught me about joy.

That joy is my strength, and that His strength is made perfect in weakness.
That in His presence, there is fullness of joy.
That fullness of joy doesn't mean enough to get by -- it means more joy than we can handle or contain or even imagine.  It is part of the abundant life Jesus promised that He brings.
That joy leaves fear and anxiety and shame behind.
That joy is meant to be shared.
That God wants us to fill me with unspeakable joy so I can weather even the roughest of storms.
Joy will be a cornerstone and defining characterstic in my life.

I feel like I really learned these lessons this semester.  Like REALLY learned them -- not book learnin', but the street smarts kind of learnin'.  Though I sensed that God was doing a big work in me, it was really confirmed when a friend -- completely out of the blue -- told me that she was just so amazed by how much joy I had.  I was so grateful for this confirmation from the Lord and from my friend that God was at work and really growing me in the area of joy.

Speaking of gratitude, that's the other thing I learned: intentionally cultivating an attitude of being thankful and appreciative really sets up an ecosystem and environment where joy can thrive.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  James 1:2-4
While I definitely wouldn't consider myself mature, complete, and not lacking in anything, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I see how the Lord has used this semester to teach me about and give me joy.  I can see how my joy during the trials I faced this semester have helped to develop perseverance in my spiritual life and my life in general.  Excited (though, if I'm being honest, a little apprehensive) to see what lies ahead.  Whatever it is, I will face it courageously and rely on the joy of the Lord to be my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment