Friday, May 13, 2016

Another Year is in the Books

This is my second year in a non-tenure-track job, which has allowed me to enjoy a nine month schedule.  This means I have summers to do with as I please.  The pay cut is SO WORTH IT.

For the last two years, around spring break I get the itch and am like "OMG PLEASE MERCIFUL GOD LET SUMMER BE HERE TODAY."  I've limped and hobbled across the finish line to summer each of the last two years.  I sleep for about a week after school is out.  Then I read, go outside, and spend the days cooking, minding my plants, reading, and spending times with friends.

This year feels a lot different.  As I feel like transition is impending (even with no real idea what that will look like), the end of the school year feels sad and bittersweet.  I am sad to leave the students I enjoy, the place that I've had to answer tough questions, and the environment where I really learned who I was and what I value.  I leave this school year uncertain whether I'll be back in the fall.  It is sad, and I am most assuredly grateful for this place and this season.

I'm not sure what will happen next, but I am glad to finally feel like I have found my calling in life: loving, serving, and educating students who are navigating a critical season in their lives.  What an honor it has been to have worked here.

No comments:

Post a Comment