Wednesday, April 9, 2014

And then, it got crazier.

Yesterday we got an e-mail at 4:30 PM from my boss' boss.

"Please come to this meeting at 8:30 AM tomorrow.  I am traveling, so I can't join you in person but I will dial in to meet with you you.  If you can't join us in person, please call in to our conference."

Urgent news, no hint what the meeting was about?  Cryptic.  Strange.  Flipping through the mental roladex of ideas about what the meeting could possibly be about, I came up empty.  No idea.

This morning I found out that effective immediately, my boss was no longer my boss.  She has been tapped to be an interim dean*.  Wow.  Alrighty then.  This boss -- the one who unofficially offered me the opportunity to stay on again next year, the one who has been so supportive and helpful during my career here -- may or may not be coming back to serve in her current capacity.

I have no idea where this leaves me for next year.  I have no idea what will happen from here.  I keep thinking that this year has been the craziest year ever and that there is no way that we can work with even more of a skeleton crew; there are no more curve balls that can possibly be thrown.

Wrong.  With less than a month remaining in the semester, the events in our department take another unexpected turn.  We had 17 faculty members last year.  Now we've lost a sixth (not to mention a seventh is out on maternity leave).

This. is. crazy.

Will I be extended another offer?  Who knows.  I keep reminding myself, "This does not catch the Lord by surprise.  He knew this, and will sustain me.  I can trust Him with my future.  He has a good plan for my life."  But seriously, this is cray cray.

*It is a promotion and I am happy for her.  She will be good at the job, and is well-deserving of the recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment