Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Trusting the Lord to Order Our Steps

I just got back from a trip with my friend Emily to Disney World.  It was a great (and much needed) respite from a crazy, challenging, very difficult semester.  Like so much this semester (and schoolyear actually), the trip there was not smooth.

We were supposed to leave Arkansas around 1 PM on Thursday and arrive in Florida around 8 PM.  Our flight was cancelled for wind and bottom line was were were not sure if we were going to make it on Thursday or not.  I silently prayed that we would make it.  I figured God knew how much I needed this vacation, how tightly I was wound, and how hard things had been and that the obvious thing was to get me out of Arkansas for a few days ASAP.

My good friend Emily instead prayed, "Lord, please order our steps.  We trust you."

Immediate conviction.  Yes, isn't this year all about me learning to trust in the Lord's plans?  Didn't the Holy Spirit tell me at the beginning of the year that learning to trust Him was my primary learning objective?  Doesn't God control even the wind and the resulting flight cancellations?  He knew about all of this; I had just forgotten about that.

We did make it to Florida that night (well, the next morning at 2 AM).  We had a full, memorable, fun trip that I will always treasure.  The Lord was in the details and, indeed, ordered our steps -- we experienced favor and the Lord's divine timing throughout the entire trip.  We got to do everything we wanted to multiple times, and still had a chance to go back to our hotel rooms to relax and sleep in the afternoons.  Most meaningful to me, though, was the ways in which the Lord grew my relationship with a good friend with whom I now have even more fun memories.

Emily is a fun, encouraging, Godly friend who teaches me so much -- including how to trust God not only with big things like my vocation and my future, but even with the details of flight arrangements and my leisure time, and knowing that God knows what my bandwidth is and will make sure all of my emotional and mental health needs are richly and abundantly supplied.

No comments:

Post a Comment