Monday, September 9, 2013

Posture

Since about midsummer, the word "posture" has been going through my brain like it's on repeat. I've felt like God is reminding me about it over and over and I find myself focusing on this simple idea.  Simply put, posture is the way you carry yourself.  Like virtually everything else in the Christian life, we're told that the Lord cares more about the posture of our hearts than anything about our physical appearance, what's on our resumes, or any credentials we've earned.

I've wrestled through what type of posture the Lord wants me to have the last couple months.  Every week or couple weeks I felt like He would reveal a little more to me, like a slowly dripping faucet.  This weekend as I read Barefoot Church, I felt like the Lord just brought everything together in a big tidal wave of revelation.  This quote really got me thinking.
When your posture is incorrect, you'll always be perceived as an enemy or judge.  When your posture is correct, you'll be perceived as an advocate, a person who supports and speaks in favor of or pleads for another.
After reading this, I sat down and made a list of the postures God wants me (and probably most Christ-followers) to assume.

A posture of humility.
A posture of worship.
A posture of service and selflessness.
A posture of gratitude.
A posture of grace.
A posture of reconciliation and restoration.
A posture of dependence.
A posture of submission.
A posture of learning.
A posture of authenticity.

I'll unpack some of these further in the coming days and weeks, but take some time to reflect -- what posture does God want you to assume in your relationships with others and in your relationship with Him?  How can God use your posture to help make you an advocate who supports others?


No comments:

Post a Comment