Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Lessons from my Trip to NCC

I've spent the weekend and the last few days learning from folks at National Community Church.  It's sort of surreal, given that I've always respected them and have learned so much from them since I began reading Pastor Mark's blog and listening to their podcasts in 2004 or 2005.

In even the brief few days since I've been here, I've learned so much from them.  Here are some of the biggest highlights I've taken away.

  • Generosity is critical.  On Sunday morning, I went to the Barracks Row location and helped to serve donuts before the first service.  Many of the folks in line for the donuts were homeless people from across the city.  "Can I have four glazed and one strawberry donut?" my first "customer" asked.  I didn't know what to do, but I just gave him the donuts he asked for.  When I later asked someone on staff about it, she told me I had done the right thing.  "I'd rather be generous and taken advantage of than to not be generous -- because if I'm not generous, then it's my fault," she explained.  And the staff at NCC has modeled this for me so well.  So many people gave selflessly of their time to meet with me.  They gave me no holds barred access to everything that they've done, the meetings they attend, explained how they do things, gave me rides, and really went above and beyond to make sure I felt comfortable, welcomed, and included.  I was floored by their generosity and willingness to give WAY beyond their level of comfort or convenience.
  • Leaders raise up other leaders.  Everyone I've met with is incredibly competent -- from the admins to the team leaders, people just really seem equipped and good at what they're doing.  I guess what strikes me is that the people I've met with seem to strategically identify folks who are talented, invest in them, and then raise them up.  They're not threatened by the success of others, but the opposite -- they invest in others to help make them successful.  They're secure in their positions and are working to raise up leaders to replicate themselves.  This helps to make the vision scalable and this is what Jesus actually did with His own disciples.
  • It doesn't matter who gets the credit -- we give all credit to Jesus.  This was a quote from Pastor Mark in the staff meeting.  He continued, "Hopefully what we do will bring glory to His name.  But we don't fight about who gets the credit."  We should allow people to function in their giftedness and celebrate it when they are successful.  Leaders who are insecure will create a culture of insecurity.  Create a culture of wins and playing to peoples' strengths instead.  Celebrate what you want to see repeated.
  • It's going to be a continuous process not trying to figure things out.  But stop.  Work like it depends on you, pray like it depends on God.  Just follow Jesus and trust Him and stop trying to figure things out.  You wouldn't understand it anyway.
  • Seasons of waiting are like super-concentrated, rich soil in which a seed can grow.  The seed doesn't need help, it doesn't need some special kind of water -- what it needs is time.  Waiting is not sexy -- you're not going to see someone going on Oprah or Ellen talking about how they're waiting.  It's tough to get people excited about -- but you just have to trust that the Lord is in control and wait.  The sooner you get excited about where the Lord has you, the sooner you'll calm down.
  • God has the answers for me, and I need to listen to and trust Him.  People don't have the answers.  Books don't have the answers.  Processes and best practices don't have the answers.  They're all helpful and valuable, absolutely, but God is the one who has the answers for me -- I won't find them in people, and I should not expect to.
  • When it comes to issues of women in church leadership, we may be coming at it incorrectly.  Instead of thinking about it in a binary way -- yes women should absolutely be in all ministry roles or no they shouldn't -- we need to think about what makes the Gospel the most attractive.  If women in leadership helps advance the Gospel and make it accessible to a broader audience, then women should be in leadership.  If having women in leadership becomes a barrier to or diminishes the attractiveness of the Gospel, then women shouldn't be in leadership roles there.  THis depends almost entirely on context.
  • I don't understand God.  Why would I expect to understand His plans?  It's probably better for me at this point just not to know what's next.  When the Lord wants me to know, He will let me know.  Until then, I will just wait.
The experience of visiting NCC was such a tremendous blessing.  I feel affirmed in my calling, that I am on the right path following the Lord, and that -- in the Lord's timing -- He will reveal the next step of the plan.  Even better, I made a several friends and an ally during my visit.  I am so excited to continue nurturing these relationships and trusting in the Lord's timing, provision, and direction as He reveals His plans to me.  I am so grateful for the time, kindness, and generosity of the folks at NCC.  What a tremendous blessing they've been to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment