Monday, January 6, 2014

Spray Paint

Anyone who has known me in the past two years knows I like to spray paint.  And by "like to spray paint" I mean "am obsessed with spray painting".  Now I could spend this entire blog post telling you why spray paint is so amazing -- how it's cheap, how it can completely make something over in a matter of minutes, how it can breathe life into something old and gross and make it look cute and modern -- but that's not really where I'm going with this.

I've written about DC before, and how much I learned from the kind, generous people of NCC.  One of the coolest things to happen on the trip, though, I haven't written about.

On my last day, I had a meeting with someone I've looked up to forever.  It was good, but not at all what I expected.  At the conclusion of the meeting, the person I'd met with reunited me with Maegan, my hostess for the trip.  "She's probably out back spray painting something," the person I'd met with said offhandedly.

SHUT. THE. FRONT. DOOR.

In addition to being kind, helpful, wise, and just generally awesome and easy to talk to, Maegan also likes to spray paint?!?!  And that's when I knew for sure that God was in this relationship.

No, really, I do mean that.

It amazes me that out of all the things God did on that trip both big and small, that spray painting matters to Him.  Not so much the act of spray painting or the glories of spray painting (though they are many), but that He cares about the details of our lives enough to care about putting two women together who would connect on something like that.  We weren't there to talk about crafts or ourselves, yet the Lord knew what He was doing and HE was the one who arranged to have it brought up.  Out of all of the random things in our lives that we didn't talk about, God knew we would connect on the issue of spray painting, so He saw to it that that was brought up naturally in conversation.

It boggles my mind.  What a caring God who is in the details.  I love that about Him -- that He connected a Pacific-northwesterner-relocated-to-the-east-coast-social-justice-advocate-and-budget-fashionista-turned-discipleship-professional with a midwesterner-relocated-to-the-south-engineering-professor-doing-who-knows-what-with-her-life in the context of learning discipleship over something trivial yet incredible: spray paint.  (Whew, that was a sentence!)

I think that is awesome.  And I am grateful for spray paint (duh), for my friend Maegan (she's awesome), and for a loving, caring God who knows that spray paint is the way to my heart.  He worked with that to help me make a new friend.

So cool.   One more thing I love about our God who is in the details -- even the trivial ones like spray painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment